Time Management: How To Start Your Week Off Right
Many a song has been written about time management and, in particular, how much we dislike Mondays. “Every other day of the week is fine, yeah . . . can’t trust that day,” sang the Mamas and the Papas in the 1960s, while the Bangles recorded “Manic Monday” in 1986 about the stress of starting a week.
The first day of the week doesn’t have to cause sadness or madness, however. And, with 52 of them a year, you’re better off finding ways to make the day productive than moping. We’ve searched for some of the best time management tips and tools for entrepreneurial agents to maximize your productivity on the day no one likes.
Real Estate Time Management
- Start early. And by start early, we mean Friday. Hopefully, your weekends will be full of open houses and showing properties, so if you haven’t started planning your week before it starts, you are liable to have forgotten what you need to prioritize Monday. Spend the last hour of your Friday working on your to-do list for Monday and give it a once-over first thing Monday morning before jumping in.
- Physical care is key. Starting the week tired never pays off. Get a good night’s sleep Saturday, don’t hit the snooze alarm and if at all possible, get some exercise before heading to the office. Of course, exercise consistently at any time of day is good, but even a 10-minute walk with the dog bumps up your metabolism and gives you more energy at the start of the day.
- Eat the frog first. The great writer Mark Twain once said, “If it’s your job to eat the frog, eat it first thing in the morning.” This means, do your least favorite tasks first and get them over it so you don’t spend the day dreading them.
- Schedule measurable work. When plotting your week, schedule the chores that bring immediate results. Nothing feels better than checking items off our lists, so slate a few items you are confident you can complete in the day, whether it’s follow-up notes to prospects or calling a handful of FSBOs to schedule appointments.
- Beat the competition with a positive attitude. Mind over matter works! While everyone else is grousing around the Keurig Monday morning, stride in having told yourself this will be the best day of the week. And, studies show that cognitively creating a positive mindset is more likely to lead to success.
Finally, give yourself something to look forward to, be it lunch with a friend or a professional development opportunity you’ve been anticipating. We can’t promise Monday becomes your favorite day of the week, but with a little time management discipline, you can come to not dread it and to make it your most productive day.
Check out this earlier post for additional time management strategies.
Real Estate Prospecting with Video Email
One of the residual impacts of the pandemic is America’s…Read More
Win with Real Estate Prospecting Scripts
One of the most daunting aspects of real estate lead…Read More