The Truth Will Set You FREE…and Help Drive Your Business
This post was written a number of weeks ago, but set aside as we all started to focus on how COVID-19 was turning things upside down.
We decided to dust it off and post it because it seems as if many people are using this time at home for a certain amount of self-reflection. Perhaps, over time, we will look at this self-reflection as one of the unanticipated benefits of the pandemic.
In recent weeks, we’ve written about the need for real estate agents to block out the overwhelming amount of negative news and stay focused on the end game. Meaning: people are still buying and selling homes, and it serves no purpose for you to sit on the sideline waiting for things to “get back to normal.” Because the reality is, you’ll have to create your own “normal” in order to be successful in the post COVID-19 environment.
So, back to this post which was written about the kinds of mental and emotional baggage that can hinder our ability to live a free, happy and productive life.
We suggest you fix a cup of tea or coffee and set aside time to reflect upon the points outlined below. Are any of these mental traps that you sometimes fall into? If you’re not reaching your goals, can you look at any, or a combination, of these factors as a reason why?
- Not everyone will like you. To be high achieving, you must give up the need to be liked. Note that we didn’t say you shouldn’t continue to be honest and kind! But no matter what you do and how successful you may be, not everyone will like you. Shaking off the feeling that you must always have everyone’s approval will remove a roadblock to progress.
- None of us are perfect. We all make mistakes and we fail to reach milestones or goals, but excuses don’t matter.You may be able to use them to justify a glitch, but you’ll also waste time. Better to be honest with yourself about how you erred and make a new plan to go forward. Here’s a saying you might want to write on a post-it note and keep it on your desk: No excuse is as good as a result.
- Your unhealthy habits. That’s right: We are telling you to lose some of the treats you enjoy. If you are tired, it’s tempting to sit in front of the TV to chill with a glass or two of wine, but exercise – even a walk – has been found to perk you up. While it’s not realistic to expect you to give up all your guilty pleasures, work on addressing one unhealthy habit. Your sound mind needs a sound body.
- Fear of discomfort. To grow your business, you’ll have to learn to overcome your fear of feeling uncomfortable and possibly even to embrace it. Those butterflies in your stomach tell you aren’t stagnating but that you are continuing to grow and to try new techniques. If you are feeling complacent and stuck, now’s the time to dissect those feelings and create a plan that might make to feel just uncomfortable enough for you to know you are making progress.
- The need to be right. Perhaps you’ve heard the saying: “You can be right, or you can be happy.” Many of us become accustomed to being considered experts in our field and get used to being right, but no one is always right, and the need to be right, to be in control, keeps us from accepting new ideas. Accepting that others can (and often are) right, makes you more versatile and strengthens your relationships.
Do any of these self-limiting thoughts and behaviors resonate with you? Do they prevent you from living the healthy, happy productive life you deserve to live? The more you grapple with some or all of these universal truths, the freer you will be chase your goals with a more positive, and inspired frame-of-mind.
The Benefits of Artificial Intelligence in Real Estate
How Artificial Intelligence in Real Estate is Changing the Game…Read More
Mindset and Real Estate Prospecting
“Mindset is what makes or breaks you,” says Justin Ford,…Read More
Use Vulcan 7 to Connect with More Sellers
“80% of success is showing up,” says West Palm Beach…Read More